Pranayama & Standing Meditation
Last night, in place of my usual posture practice, I did about 90 minutes of Pranayama (energy, focus and breathing) exercises followed by a Qigong standing meditation.
During the Energy Extensions (Pranayama), I focused on breath retention and evenness of breath and stillness of mind, noticing the changes within my body as I practiced.
The Qigong standing meditation puts the body in a position to allow free flow of energy and holds it there. Over time, about 10 minutes, the energy in the body starts to break down blockages and flow more strongly.
I did this practice last night in an attempt to calm my mind and strengthen my energy. I woke up this morning feeling the most focused and centered that I have in weeks.
Leave a Reply.
This journal honors my ongoing experience with the practice, study and teaching of yoga.
1) Sridaiva Yoga: Good Intention But Imbalanced
2) Understanding Chair Posture
2) Why I Don't Use Sanskrit or Say Namaste
3) The Meaningless Drudgery of Physical Yoga
5) Beyond Bikram: Why This Is a Great Time For Ghosh Yoga